- Women aged 25-64yrs
- Invited every 3 years age 25-49 and every 5 years age 50-64
- Cytology with HPV triage
Telephone: 0203 682 0890
- Result unclear: women are asked to repeat the test
- Results show mild cell changes: In England the sample is checked for HPV. If it is HPV positive, women will be invited for a colposcopy. If it is HPV negative, the woman will be returned to routine screening.
- Results show moderate to severe changes: women will be invited for a colposcopy.
The Benefits of cervical screening
- Saves at least 2,000 lives each year in the UK.
- Benefit of screening on cervical cancer risk increases with age.
- The cervical screening programme started in the late 1980s and since the early 1990s cervical cancer incidence rates have decreased by almost a quarter in the UK.